I would not dare post a picture of my chicken pot pie. I am so bad at making a pie crust look pretty, and with gluten free crust I find it nearly impossible. My mom is so good at it. That combined with my lackluster photography skills would make for one unappetizing looking pie. But! It came out really good. As I got about 5 lbs of sweet potatoes in my farm share this week, I decided to depart from traditional chicken pot pie and its potatoes and peas, and use the sweet potatoes and corn instead. This was so filling. We actually have leftovers!
- 1 cup peeled and diced sweet potato
- ¾ cup sliced carrot
- ½ cup butter
- ⅔ cup diced onion
- 1¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon poultry seasoning*
- ½ cup all-purpose GF flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (I used rice milk)
- 3 cups shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken
- 1 cup corn
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts (I used Bob’s Red Mill pie crust mix)**
- 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
*Poultry seasoning can be made at home like this.
**WARNING: this mix uses 20 TBSP of butter!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place potatoes and carrots in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Melt ½ cup butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for 1 minute, stirring to evenly cook the flour.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and then milk. Add potatoes and carrots and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in chicken and corn. Turn heat off.
- Fit 1 pie crust into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Place second pie crust on top and trim excess. Press the two pie crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers.
- Brush egg white on top of the pot pie and use a knife to cut 4 slits to let steam escape.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.