*Originally posted November 1, 2014
I made it though Halloween without one piece of candy. I did pretty well over my two week fast, only having a few cookies after my 10 mile run, and a cupcake last Tuesday. (My boss went out of her way to get me a GF cupcake from a swanky bakery, and I did not want to be rude.) My sinuses are way better. Today is my bridal shower, and I am going to indulge. I’ve waited a long time for this day!
I got a head of red cabbage in my farm share last week. I like red cabbage, but I find it difficult to eat a whole head in one week. I saw Rachael Ray making this on The Chew, and decided to give it a go. As Rachael likes to use about 30 ingredients in each dish, I decided to simplify it and take out some of her ingredients. I also used a pear instead of an apple. It came out awesome! Definitely a keeper for the Oktoberfest season.
- 3 tablespoons Canola Oil
- 1 Red Cabbage (quartered, cored, 1/4-inch slices)
- 1 Red Onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 large Bay Leaves
- 1 teaspoon Mustard Seed (I used ground mustard)
- 1 teaspoon Caraway Seed
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seed
- 1/3 cup Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Lady or Honey Crisp Apples (peeled and chopped)
- Heat Canola Oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, onions and bay leaves, and liberally season with Salt, Pepper. Add Seeds and seasoning and cook until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Add the vinegar, sugar, and pear and reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until tender. Adjust seasonings to taste and serve.