*Originally posted August 20, 2014
I got a UFO in my farm share box this week: Unidentifiable Fruit Object. I was hoping for gooseberries or way too big tomatillos, but after googling and finally slicing one, I discovered they were yellow plums. The last time I ate a plum, my mouth swelled up and I felt like I had the flu, but I decided to take a chance and eat this salsa figuring it was organic, and I’ve never had a yellow plum before so fingers crossed my body wouldn’t react to it. The result: I’ve been eating this salsa all week with no reaction. Hooray!
- 4 to 6 firm but ripe plums cut into 1/4-inch wedges
- 1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, plus more if needed
- 1 tablespoon sugar, plus more if needed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 large jalapeno chile (seeded if desired), minced
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve.