*Originally posted April 29, 2013
I swore I would not eat pasta for a long time after the marathon, but in light of what happened, I really wanted comfort food last week. Plus I had my studio’s dance recital, and I needed something that traveled easy. I prefer to use corn pasta for mac and cheese because it’s like eating nachos in pasta form and y’all know how I love me some nachos.
2 cups corn pasta
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons GLUTEN FREE all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chiles, including juices
1 teaspoon adobo sauce (from can of chipotle chiles)
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup (1 ounce) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 tablespoons crushed tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large pot, HEAT OIL over medium high heat. Add chiles, onion, and bell pepper, and cook 4 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, or until garlic is fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Sprinkle with flour and chili powder, and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes. Cook for 3 minutes, or until mixture is thickened.
- Add adobo sauce, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, milk, Parmesan and egg, stirring until combined and cheese is melted. Add cooked pasta and black beans, stirring until combined.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Pour pasta mixture into prepared baking dish. Top with bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly.