*Originally posted February 5, 2013
A lot of people ask me about being gluten free, and they always comment that it would be so hard to give up bread. Bread was the easy part. What has been the most difficult is feeling like a social outcast, mostly at running club functions, because I can’t have a beer like everyone else. My club is working on getting GF beer at the bar we hang out at after our run, but if we are at a place that does not have it, I feel left out. And I just don’t want wine or whiskey after I run. I want a beer damnit! At least it’s making me drink a lot of water.
I feel like I’ve had to sacrifice so much (mostly beer) since learning I was gluten intolerant, and it is nice when a treat from my former diet is naturally gluten free. I love lettuce wraps but I rarely order them in a restaurant since they are rather messy. But they are fun to make and eat. They were a nIce addition to my GF Superbowl Sunday spread because they were light and healthy.
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- EVOO or peanut oil (I use peanut oil so rarely that I don’t keep it in the house)
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (8 ounces) water chestnuts, drained and diced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup choooed green onions
- 12 Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil for 3 minutes; drain. Add the mushrooms, water chestnuts and ginger; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, and red pepper flakes. Stir in the carrots, onions and chicken mixture.
- Spoon onto lettuce leaves; sprinkle with almonds. If desired, fold sides of lettuce over filling and roll up. Yield: 6 servings.